The framework of behaviours that analyze by the amount of time and the preference that individual gives to TV is known as TV habits
In the 1940s after television becomes available, social scientists start to find the habits that are developing by TV and the influence of these habits on our daily life.
Although TV can use for educational purposes, most people use television just for entertainment. Television Help us to experience those events at a person would never be able to experience.
Due to these preferences that people make about TV, social scientist and American Academy of Pediatrics take actions on different concerns about watching televisions
- Watching television reduce the amount of physical activity in daily life.
- Exposure of violence makes children comfortable with violence in real life too.
- Watching age-inappropriate sexual stuff cause many developmental problems in the child.
- Influence of advertisement on people’s shopping habits.
- Promotion of unrealistic and unattainable body image.
Here are some factors that can increase the amount of time watching television such as
- The child is a single sibling
- Loss of socioeconomic status
- Less interaction with the parent
- Having a parent in child bedroom
- If a single parent or teenage mom raises the child.
Facts and figures about habits:
- According to a study, more than 98% of homes in the United States have at least one set of TVs. Many have more than one set their home.
- Another study tells us that 32% of children of age two to seven years have their television in their rooms. And this percentage increase from 32 to 67% in the case of children age from eight to eighteen.
- In-home, people watch television on an average basis for more than 7 hours, 40 minutes daily. In the case of children age from 6 to 11 years watch 19 hours 49 minutes TV shows per week on average base. On average, American spend more than 1000 hours watching TV shows. 40% of American people watch TV during dinner.
- Among all the advertisement that is shown on TV, 98% of ads or food are that food that is very high in Fat oils and carbohydrates. The purpose of the advertisement is after watching ads; children would nag their parent and parents had to buy this food for them.
- The recommended amount of exercise that a child should have in daily routine is 60 minutes. However, due to secure access to television, the child does not even spend 15 to 20 minutes on physical activity in daily life nowadays. Due to that, one out of three American is obese.
- Children until the age of eight do not even discriminate between the TV shows and advertisement. At the age of two, the child minds pick their favourite brand by watching television ads.
- By the age of 18, any child has witnessed more than 20,000 murders by watching television.
How to break these habits:
Watching TV for an extended period do affect not only physical health but also mental health too. These habits cause many development problems in children. At the age of two, the child should have more interaction with parents because at that age child mind tries to learn different skills. If a child does not get proper interaction, then these processes would cease.
These habits can be break if a person tries to. There are some ways which help to reduce the amount of watching TV.
- Turn on the TV for watching specific programs and TV shows. Then try to turn off as soon as possible.
- To restrict the TV watching hours of the child, remove their TV from their rooms. This not only helps to reduce the time, but a parent can keep an eye on the content of TV.
- Set a strict limit of watching TV daily. If the limit is 2 hours, then try to follow this limit strictly. Not only force this on the child but also a parent should abide this limit too.
- Try to engage the child in a fun activity despite watching TV. If a child has another fun activity instead of watching TV, then he would do that activity because the only purpose of watching television Is fun.
Some healthy habit:
Watching TV is not a bad thing necessarily, so if a person watches TV inappropriate amount and watch good TV shows that serves both purposes, educational as well as entertainment purpose too. Here are some healthy habits such as;
- Decide the shows before watching TV that helps to educate a person in the entertainment time.
- After watching the shows discuss it with children, so they also learn while having fun.
- If in TV shows a lousy habit of violence is promoting, then parents should condemn these habits in front of children.
- Educate children about the proposal of a TV advertisement.
- Try to find a hobby that a family can enjoy it together.
- Treat screen time as a reward just like a child do not get good grades in class then punish them by forbidding to watch TV shows.
- Not only make a specific time limit to watch TV also decide a specific time such as not watching TV While eating dinner or lunch. Another practice that is prevalent to reduce the is make a rule that there is sun out do not watch TV.
- Rearranging the location of furniture can also help to reduce the amount of time that a person spends on watching TV. Do not point the furniture towards TV instead of doing that the set furniture in such a way that it is not direct accepts access to watch TV.
- Always keep an extra DVD’s and videos one hand if there is not appropriate stuff for the child on TV then the child can watch that.
- Set a goal for yourself before watching television. Make sure to accomplish the goal can be reading a book or doing laundry or cleaning or any other task.